Organized in 1896, the Charleston & Western Carolina Railway was developed to operate two former Central of Georgia lines in South Carolina -- the Port Royal & Augusta and the Port Royal & Western Carolina railroads - after the state of South Carolina forced the CofG to give up its operations in the state. The CWC was immediately taken over by the Atlantic Coast Line the very next year, but the road remained a subsidiary until 1959.
Augusta, Ga / May 1948 / collection
Charleston & Western Carolina #252
Augusta, Ga / Jul 1948 / collection
Charleston & Western Carolina #1753
EMD GP7 / collection
EMD F7A (1949) / collection