masthead_shortlines

cca_state The Canton & Carthage Railroad was originally constructed as a lumber hauling road by the lumber mill operation at Canton, Mississippi. In the 1930s and 40s, the road hauled logs up from Pearl River, Louisiana, to the Canton mill via trackage rights over the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio. Another logging railroad of the Appolonia Lumber Co. was operated by the CCA from River Junction to Pelahatchie, location of the Appolonia mill, which was another Denkmann-affiliated mill, like those at Canton and Burnside. By the 1950s, the little road had withdrawn to operating as a simple common carrier railroad to Carthage using its heavy 2-8-2 Mikado steamer #202 from the mill line. When the main mill closed, a group of Carthage businessmen bought the line and operated the Canton to Carthage route for another few years until it was approved for abandonment. The road dieselized with a centercab switcher, but the little Mississippi line closed down by 1960.

Canton & Carthage in Mississippi ran its large -- by Southern short line standards -- 2-8-2 from Canton to McAfee, representing something like 35.75 miles and maybe more if switching was totted up as well.

John Krause, Rails Through Dixie

See also our affiliated Denkmann Lumber and King Lumber steam collections in Industrials
cca_timetable

David Price collection

cca_map

CCA route map / Mississippi Rails

Motive Power

Canton & Carthage #202

  • builder:ALCO Schenectedy
  • arrangement:2-8-2 Mikado
  • built:1928
  • fuel:coal/water
  • notes:
  • ex Denkmann Lumber Co #202
    ex King Lumber Co #202
  • Along the Line

    Lagniappe

    cca_price

    David Price / collection

    Links / Sources

    This page was updated on 2017-07-21